Wed. June 8, 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM

Level:
All Levels
Class Type:
Hands-on
Category:
Domestic Machine Sewing
Machine(s): Sewing Machine required

Thread Painting is a technique where the artist prints a photograph onto a piece of fabric, and stitches by machine using free motion (feed dogs dropped, and a darning foot on the machine) over the image so that the image is--usually--completely covered in thread. The results are remarkable!

Kit/handout Fee: $5 (Paid to the teacher in the classroom).
Kit includes:
Each student will receive one printed image on fabric (approximately 8" square), and a square of Misty Fuse adhesive.

Student supply list: How to Prepare for this Workshop: The image size is 8" square, printed for you on cotton fabric. You will want to have a background fabric to fuse it to, about 18" square, and a piece of batting and a backing fabric about 20" square. You may wish to bring several fat quarters of cotton fabrics to audition your choice during the workshop, as different background colors will change the overall look of the project.

Your Machine: Having a clean machine in good working order, with the right foot, Darning Foot-Imperative. Make sure you pack this. Needles, and thread will make or break your experience. If you have ever used your machine for free-motion quilting, and it worked well, it will be fine for thread painting. Bring the manual if the machine is newer to you.

Here is what to pack: Extra Bobbins. You may want to pre-wind several in the colors you are mostly using for the thread painting, in the same thread as listed below, or bottom-line threads.

Needles: Size 70 and 80 Sharp (I like Microtex Sharp Needles by Schmetz). I also like size 60 needles for machine quilting with silk thread (optional) on the fabric around the photo.

Thread: I recommend bringing a large assortment of 40-50# cotton thread, and/or embroidery thread. I have used everything type of thread in my thread box, but I prefer a good quality thread like Aurifil or Superior Threads 50 weight. I also own a large amount of commercial embroidery thread, which I have also used. It tends to be shiny in the picture, whereas the cotton thread is more matte. Avoid using very cheap thread.

Extras: You should consider bringing a portable light to enhance the normal lighting on the machine, small scissors to clip threads. You may consider reading glasses or Mag Eyes. You need to see what you are doing. Also, an extension table for your machine is very helpful to keep your work flat while sewing. Fabric and Adhesive: I mount the picture onto another piece of fabric using Misty Fuse adhesive (as described above). You will receive a small piece of this from the instructor in class. I avoid thicker fusible webbing, as they can gum up the needle. Cotton batting (like Warm and Natural), and backing fabric in the same amounts (fat quarter size) as above.

SEWING MACHINES ARE NOT PROVIDED. Bring your own sewing machine in good working order, pedal and cord.

Package and Sewing machine storage: For your convenience, we have available, free of charge temporary and overnight storage at the registration desk located at the Atlantis Hotel Resort Grand Ballroom, in front of classroom #4, on the 2nd Floor.

SKU #: 204W
Wed. June 8, 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM
$75.00 
Quantity Available:  1

[ Home ]